Re: Rép : Post–K-Pg Radiation of Placentals -- open access!!!

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> As its name indicates, it was immediately thought to be "the first
>> ungulate".
>
> Not far wrong, based on the phylogeny presented in the Science paper,
> where _Protungulatum_ is given as the most basal euungulate.

Slight correction: the most basal pan-euungulate (or stem-euungulate).
They explicitly define Euungulata as a crown group: "the least
inclusive clade [sic - they clearly mean 'the most recent common
ancestor'] of Tursiops truncatus, Lama glama, and Equus caballus and
all of its descendants". (I'd question the use of a nontraditional
ungulate like Tursiops truncatus as a specifier, but it probably
doesn't matter.)

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/