Re: Rép : Postâ??K-Pg Radiation of Placentals -- open

On Wed, February 13, 2013 2:35 pm, Mike Keesey wrote:

> The morphology-only trees all place Rodhocetus as a stem-cetacean.
> (The parsimony-based trees are weird in putting Artiocetus closer to
> the crown that Basilosaurus, though.) What's going on here?

My suspicion: the molecular data are forcing the position of certain taxa,
which are fixing the polarity/distribution of morphological traits in ways
that morphology-only trees do not, which are pulling Rodho. out of its
proper... er, its morphology-based position

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/