Re: RÃ(c)p : Post–K-Pg Radiation of Placentals -- open

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:

> My suspicion: the molecular data are forcing the position of certain taxa,
> which are fixing the polarity/distribution of morphological traits in ways
> that morphology-only trees do not, which are pulling Rodho. out of its
> proper... er, its morphology-based position

I see ... sort of....

While we're at it, there are a few other odd/interesting findings:
- Moeritherium as a stem-sirenian rather than a stem-elephant.
- Scandentia and Dermoptera in a clade (Sundatheria) exclusive of Primates.
- "Soricomorpha" paraphyletic with regard to Erinaceomorpha. (Or, if
you prefer, Talpa and Solenodon outside of Soricomorpha.)
- Litopterna (represented by Protolipterna) nested within a clade of
"condylarths" within stem-Euungulata.
- Leptictis as a stem-sengi.

--
T. Michael Keesey