Re: RÃ(c)p : Post–K-Pg Radiation of Placentals -- open

> > My suspicion: the molecular data are forcing the position of certain
> > taxa, which are fixing the polarity/distribution of morphological
> > traits in ways that morphology-only trees do not, which are pulling
> > Rodho. out of its proper... er, its morphology-based position
>
> I see ... sort of....

I'll have more to say on this on Saturday.

> While we're at it, there are a few other odd/interesting findings:
> - Moeritherium as a stem-sirenian rather than a stem-elephant.

Yeah... interesting.

> - Scandentia and Dermoptera in a clade (Sundatheria) exclusive of
> Primates.

Apparently a common finding from morphology, and also found in some molecular
analyses.

> - "Soricomorpha" paraphyletic with regard to Erinaceomorpha. (Or, if
> you prefer, Talpa and Solenodon outside of Soricomorpha.)

No molecular analysis has ever found the Soricomorpha-Erinaceomorpha division,
AFAIK, instead finding shrews and hedgehogs as sister-groups. It's strange,
though, that *Talpa* so often falls farther out than *Solenodon*.

> - Litopterna (represented by Protolipterna) nested within a clade of
> "condylarths" within stem-Euungulata.

Who can say.

> - Leptictis as a stem-sengi.

Makes me _very_ suspicious about convergence. Shawn Zack (2009, sadly still
unpublished thesis) found it and lots of Paleogene beasts not considered here
as stem-xenarthrans.