Re: Coelurosaurian phylogeny: model-based methods and parsimony

> Recently, there has been an increase in the application of model-based
> approaches with morphological (mainly fossil) data; however, there is
> some doubt as to the effectiveness of the model of morphological
> evolution. The input parameters (prior probabilities) for the model are
> unclear

I'll have a bit to say about this (and other general issues of phylogenetic
analysis) when I get around to writing that "review" of the huge mammal
phylogeny paper.

> Despite this, some systematists are suggesting superiority of these
> model-based methods over maximum parsimony based on, for example,
> increased resolution

Cynical interpretation of increased resolution: character conflict is hidden.