RE: Oviraptorosaur tail forms and functions

Distal fusion of caudal vertebrae also occurs in *Shunosaurus lii*; *Omeisaurus
tianfuensis*; a club was referred to *Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis*, but differs
in gross morphology (tall and narrow as opposed to broad and "inflated") among
nonavian dinosaurs. There is also the tail ... thingy ... in megalancosaurids,
which is triangular, huge and hook-like. A pathological tail in
*Pachyrhinosaurus* sp. resembles the *Mamenchisaurus* "club," and may suggest
it is also pathological (Tanke and Rotschild, in _New Perspectives on Horned
Dinosaurs_), and several other groups of lumped caudals in ceratopsids are
known (which also exhibit fairly short tails).

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/