Re: Dromaeosaurid tails like rhamphorhynchid tails from flight use

I'd be careful assigning such significance to Mahakala. It is at least
75 Ma removed from the common ancestor of all dromaeosaurs. So while
Mahakala may be among the most basal dromaeosaurs, that doesn't
necessarily mean it's the most primitive. Monotremes are the most
basal living mammals, but that doesn't mean the ancestral mammal was
platypus-like. It's always possible that such odd (for a dromaeosaur)
features as very small forelimbs and un-stiffened tails in Mahakala
were due to some novel ecological niche (burrowing?).

Matt