Re: Help with meaning "Urschwinge" for name Archaeopteryx

I was aware that fortshreiten  is used metaphorically, but its
> original etymology comes from schreiten "stride, march" as I
> understand it.

Correct.

See these older English  definitions for fortschreiten in this 1906
> book on German verbs in Google Books.
>
> Fortschreiten (sep., *), to step, stride on; to go onward; to get
> along, proceed; progress.

I defer to this historical dictionary, then.

Translating "forthüpfen" here  is a bit tricky. The word is not in
> any of the dictionaries I have at home and I could not find a formal
> definition as-such online.
>
> My main thought here is that the literal meaning "hop away" in
> English in this context sounds wrong.

To me, less so. It makes some sense as "away and out of sight", referring to the (likely) fact that the end of the track isn't preserved. However, given the explanation of _fortschreiten_ you found, your interpretation could still be right. It would, of course, make sense as far as the meaning of the passage goes.

Note that "along" here does NOT  mean "along" as a preposition in the
> physical sense such as "walking along the seashore" but rather
> "along" as an adverb of motion meaning "forward, onward." Think of
> English "I was walking along, minding my own business" or "The girl
> was skipping along, singing to herself."

I know, and that would be einher-, not fort-, in the kinds of German I'm used to, and einher- is exactly the kind of literary/poetic vocabulary I'd expect of the 1860s. (It took me a minute to remember its very existence.) But, again, given the dictionary you found, you may still be right.