Re: Eosinopteryx, new paravian from China

I just measured the outer curvature of the D-IV ungual. I used the larger photo
available from Andrea Cau. The photo is fuzzy when zoomed in, so making out the
actual tip is estimated, and might be underestimating. Plus, if the ungual is
even slightly oblique (with respect to the photo), then the curvature value
will be decreased. Hence the following value is a minimum.

Outer curvature for D-IV-5 is 69.1 degrees.

This compares with values for D-IV-5's:

Deinonychus 91.6; 65.9; 87
Saurornitholestes 90.6
Bambiraptor 81.7, 85.5
velociraptor 57.1
Cryptovolans 112
Microraptor 73.74
Sinornithoides 88.8
Troodon 75.4
tanycolagreus 49.5
Allosaurus 81.4

Data from Fowler et al., 2011 (not cited in Godefroit et al.)

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0028964

So... are these claws really all that weakly curved? they're at the lower end
of the scale, but not all that surprising. Given that other unguals (e.g. D-II)
in the specimen are slightly oblique, it wouldn't surprise me if the D-IV was
too, so add a few degrees and it's not that different at all.

Also, fusion of caudal neural arches does not say anything about maturity.
Alligators can have fused caudals even in the embryo (Brochu ?98). See
discussion in our Raptorex paper. You can't tell from the photos provided if
the other verts are fused (not that this would mean much). The specimen needs
histological sampling of a limb bone; until then, all bets are off regarding
ontogeny.

Denver Fowler
df9465@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.denverfowler.com