Re: Revisiting the Deccan Traps

On Mon, July 1, 2013 7:18 pm, Deinonychus47@aol.com wrote:

 Some time ago I postulated that the eruption of the Deccan Traps was cause
by the shock wave of the Chicxulub impact traveling through the Earth and
out  the other side, the angle of the impact matching if the Earth was struck
at the  right angle. I was told that the Deccan Traps predated the K-T
boundary and the  associated impact by about 1 million years.

Now, with the newly revised dating of the Chicxulub impact and  the K-T
boundary having been pushed back to 66,038,000 years ago (plus or minus
11,000
years), bringing it more into line with the Deccan event, my postulation
seems more plausible; at least to me.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Also, if an opposite-side-of-the-Earth-impact could have caused the Deccan
Traps eruption, could not a similar one have caused the Permian-Triassic
Siberian Traps event?

Just thinking out loud...

------

Sorry, still doesn't work. The issue about the timing of the impact vs.
the eruption was not in terms of absolute numerical time; it was an issue
of magnetochronology.

Lower members of the Traps are in a magnetic normal interval.The impact
occurs during a magnetic reversal.

As for the Siberian Traps: maybe? But no evidence for it!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/