Xinghaiornis, new bird from Early Cretaceous of Liaoning, China

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper (the pdf download does not appear to work for this link):

WANG Xuri,  Luis M. CHIAPPE,  TENG Fangfang &  JI Qiang (2013)
Xinghaiornis lini (Aves: Ornithothoraces) from the Early Cretaceous of
Liaoning: An Example of Evolutionary Mosaic in Early Birds.
Acta Geologica Sinica(English Edition),87(3):686-689
http://www.geojournals.cn/dzxben/ch/reader/view_abstract.aspx?file_no=201303006&flag=1

We describe a new species of Early Cretaceous bird from the Yixian
Formation of Liaoning Province. Xinghaiornis lini gen. et sp. nov. is
relatively large and characterized by a long, toothless rostrum and an
elevated pedal digit I. The design of the skull and feet suggests that
this bird was likely a mud-prober. This discovery provides strong
support indicating that this avian trophic specialization originated
at least 125 million years ago.