Re: Yet more on dinosaur quad climbers

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 01:52:53PM -0700, Mike Habib wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
>
> > try it yourself.  Stick long lightweight and strong planes onto your
> > arms and walk down the street.  I think you will find the affect very
> > enlightening :)
>
> I imagine it wouldn't be bad at all, actually.

Then do it.  Give a week just to be sure of the affect.

> > reason.  You need to tuck the feathers out of the way when you are
> > moving around with any speed.  The tail feathers are for display.  Maybe
> > a Trex used its arm feathers for display.
>
> Jason is correct: a *lot* of birds use arm feathers for display.

That would be wrong.  The wings are usually tucked away.  There are
birds, like the bower bird, that are exceptions.  But when moving around
and struting stuff, the wings are TUCKED away and the TAIL FEATHERS are
almost uniformally the display feathers from the red tail of the African
Grey Parrot to the Peacock.

Also flight feathers are often colored or bright, displaying while in
flight, such as more Amazon Parrots, and a variety of other birds.  But
the birds have to be in flight.

> Off the top of my head: sun bitterns, birds of paradise, mockingbirds, many
> finches, Whip-poor-wills (some nightjars even have extended display feathers
> on the wings).  Other wing functions include: mantling (hawks), shadow luring
> (herons), weapons (steamer ducks, ibises, others), brooding (nearly all),
> shielding (secretary birds).
>
> In short, there is no evidence that feathered forelimbs are greatly impaired
> in range of motion, rate of motion, or general functionality.

There is evidence, but you have to open your mind and see it.

Cheers

Ruben