Re: Yet more on dinosaur quad climbers

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 02:51:22PM -0700, Mike Habib wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:31 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, for almost all birds, at breeding season, the beaks turn color
> > but to imply beaks evoloved for dispaly makes as much sense as flight
> > feathers.
>
> This argument makes no sense to me.  Sure, the ancestral function of beaks is
> probably mostly feeding.  But beak *color*, which is what you are
> referencing, probably did evolve under a largely display-oriented context.
> Besides, I never said that flight feathers evolved "for display".  I merely
> pointed out that modern birds regularly use the wings for non-flight
> functions.  That is all.

You didn't write this?

"but this does not mean that those effects were the primary function or
that the limbs were used for a sustained flight function (or, indeed, a
lift dominated function at all - though it is likely they were)"

That flight feathers would have evolved for anything other than flight
would be an extradonary hypothesis that would need extradonary evidence.
To repeat, having long light weight planar kites attached to ones arms
would have an extremely debilitating effect of any other use of the
arms... other than flight.

Further, just as an aside, as far as I know, all birds that are
flightless have evolved in response, small, ineffective, diminutive
wings.  So pick any alternative theory for their development that you
wish, but you'll need to prove it since it would be highly unlikely.

Ruben

> --Mike

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://fairuse.nylxs.com