Re: Yet more on dinosaur quad climbers

Collected thoughts...

-- Mike Habib's e-mails, even the latest one, arrive here without line breaks
in their paragraphs; my interface wraps the lines at the edge of the window,
but there are some that don't do that and instead have you scroll horizontally
for enormous distances. The reason may be that Windows linebreaks and Mac
linebreaks aren't the same character.

-- "What use is half a wing?" That's the classical question. Parachuting?
Gliding? Display? Brooding?

-- The GFTR hypothesis still needs a way to get from gliding to flapping. I'm
also not sure if a glider rather than a parachuter would really result, and why
a perching foot or some other such adaptation wouldn't evolve pretty soon after
selection pressure for roosting set in. The weka kept falling off.

-- Weird shit happens. The argument from personal incredulity is a logical
fallacy.

-- The ability to retract the head into the shell evolved twice independently
in turtles, and not very soon. *Proganochelys* and *Meiolania*, to mention just
two, were clearly incapable of any such retraction.

-- Brooklyn isn't mythical in the mind of the world at all. Most of the world
only knows it's part of New York. And the only person I've seen quoting
themself as a signature before was John A Davison.