Re: Yet more on dinosaur quad climbers

On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:46 PM, GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> This statement is confused in that it first says flight feathers must have
> originated in a non-flying context, but then says perhaps they evolved for
> aerodynamic purposes, which is inherently a flight context. It seems what is
> meant is powered flight context, but no one contests that pennaceous
> feathers evolved before that stage.

Aerodynamic function is typically treated in a flight context, but that is not
the only context in which aerodynamic forces are relevant. There are
terrestrial behaviors that can also benefit from the generation of aerodynamic
forces.  That is why I phrased my statement the way I did.

--Mike

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Cell and Neurobiology
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Bishop Research Building; Room 403
1333 San Pablo Street, Los Angeles 90089-9112
biologyinmotion@gmail.com
(443) 280-0181