More about Siberian dinosaurs

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Apologies for the missing subject line. I accidentally clicked send....

I did some more research about the Siberian dinosaur find and have
some additional links, including videos.

The site does indeed appear to the the Chita site mentioned in an
earlier posting from a Russian news story as a "dinosaur Pompeii."
Apparently, it was found  only a few years ago. A number of articles
about the finds appeared in Russian media but  I have only found one
article in English so far.

Article in English (However, the photos  and  illustrations of
dinosaur fossils (Compsognathus and Psittacosaurus)  are obviously not
from the site):

http://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/an-amazing-collection-of-dinosaur-remains-found-in-volcanic-ash-in-siberia/

 ==

 The paleontologist in charge is Sofia or Sofya (Sophia)
Sinitsa--she's interviewed in the videos. Unfortunately, Google
Translate makes a hash of her last name, which in the feminine form
"Sinitsa" (Russian surnames have masculine and feminine (+ a) endings
corresponding to
the gender of the person) is the same as the name of the bird the
tomtit or tit.  I took Russian many years ago, so I have made some
corrections to the Google Translate raw version to fix grammar and
terminology. These are not perfect translations, but I think the
general idea comes through in places where I left the translation
as-is. (Plus a fully accurate, fluent translation might raise
copyright issues and would take much more work...)

 ===
 In Russian:

 http://chita.rfn.ru/rnews.html?id=8604455&cid=7

 [Modified from Google Translate]

 26.10.2012 8:37 Paleontologist Sofia Sinitsa has discovered the
 remains of a dinosaur unknown to science.

 Irina Trofimov, Vadim Svetlakov

 Video report

 A find of the age of 150 million years old! Paleontologist Sofia
Sinitsa has discovered the remains of species of dinosaurs previously
unknown to science in a valley in Kulinda in the Transbaikal region. A
 find unique in that scientists discovered in one place the imprints
of
bones, skin and feathers.

In Kulinda valley this summer found numerous, well-preserved imprints
of the smallest in the land of dinosaurs, still unknown to science.
They may have grown to around the size of a large rooster.

Sofia Sinitsa, paleontologist, doctor of geological-mineralogical
sciences: "We are lucky that there were paleovolcanoes. All the
remains were buried under the ash, and they survived. It's lucky that
they exist."

In Chernyshevski area in search of dinosaur paleontologist Transbaikal
Sofia Sintisa has come for three years ... In 2010, the first
expedition found the remains of a rare carnivorous dinosaur
Compsognathus, traces of which are till now found only in France and
Germany. Now scientists are inclined to believe that 160 million years
ago in Kulinda were two types of small dinosaurs: the Compsognathus
and an unknown plant-eating species, fragments of which are in large
numbers and have been found this year.

 Sofia Sinica, paleontologist, doctor of geological-mineralogical
sciences, "scientists did not come to a consensus among themselves.
Alifanov identifies the small predator as Compsognathus. Herbivorous
ones may be new. Maybe "Kulindosaurus". And he said - scaly tails - it
belongs to predators. But plumage - herbivorous. "

 While the working title of a new species - "Kulindosaurus", named for
the Kulinda valley.

Alexei Ptitsyn, director of the Institute of Ecology and Natural
Resources Cryology RAH: "The material was collected unique, and I
think this is the missing link in the history of the biosphere. We
need to know how the climate has changed on the ground, which the
plants grow, that's what fed the little dinosaur . "

However, disputes  about the classification of the found remains to
any particular form are not yet finished. For example, paleontologists
from  Blagoveshchensk ["Annunciation," city in Amur region] believe
that Sinitsa's discovery may also be Jeholosaurus. More than 20
skeletons of this species have been found and restricted entirely in
China. But this is also just a hypothesis. Set the record straight and
help chemical examination, which is carried out by scientists
Trans-Baikal Institute of Natural Resources. A paleontologist
expedition Sofia Sinitsa for the next year will continue to Kulinda.
However, it is not known who will finance the study.

Sofia Sinitsa, paleontologist, doctor of geological-mineralogical
sciences: "11 year, we have worked through Geniatulin. The governor
gave us money. By Bolotsko my jaw is still open - the governor has
given money to the dinosaurs? '12 We won the tender. But what is won
tender? While they're dealt - the summer passed, passed the field
season. "

 Because of the Trans-Baikal climate Kulinda excavations can be carried
 out only in the summer. Therefore, it is better to solve the funding
 issues before its beginning.

 ===

Additional articles:

http://www.copah.info/articles/overview/ostanki-neizvestnogo-nauke-dinozavra-obnaruzhila-paleontolog-sofya-sinitsa

http://www.chita.ru/info/clients/view/?sd=25.09.2010&ed=02.10.2010&s=10&m=60&mt=4&id=31022

 With a videos (in Russian)

 http://news.chita.ru/25074/

 http://news.chita.ru/33200/

 ===

 [Here's a link to a paper Sintitsa co-authored about Mesozoic mosses
 from the Transbaikal region of Siberia:

 http://arctoa.ru/ru/Archive-ru/20/043-064baigul6b.