Re: Hulkepholis, new goniopholid crocodile in Spanish Journal of Palaontology

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

More info on the paper for Hulkepholis:

Angela Delgado Buscalioni, Alcalá Luis, Espilez Eduardo & Mampel Luis (2013)
European Goniopholididae from the Early Albian Escucha Formation in Ariño
(Teruel, Aragon, Spain).
Spanish Journal of Palaeontology, 28 (1): 103-122.

Pdf can be downloaded for free at:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/243054977_European_Goniopholididae_from_the_Eraly_Albian_Escucha_Formation_in_Ario_(Teruel_Aragn_Spain)

Although goniopholids constitute the most abundant remains of the
Lower Cretaceous record of the Iberian Peninsula crocodilians, few
specimens have been found complete enough to provide precise taxonomic
determinations. The palaeontological site of Mina Santa María in Ariño
(Teruel, Early Albian Eschucha Formation) has yielded several
neosuchian monotaxic concentrations. The skulls discovered at the
Ariño Mine show a character combination linking them to the latter
European species. The Ariño skulls share apomorphies with
Anteophthalmosuchus hooleyi, Goniopholis willetti (e.g., loss of the
transverse frontal crest and of the prefrontal-lachrymal crest,
supratemporal fossa larger than the orbit and supratemporal fenestra
subequal, among other derived characters). The new taxa, Hulkepholis
plotos gen. n., sp. n and Anteophthalmosuchus escuchae sp. n., are
herein erected, and they constitute the most recent record of their
clade in Europe. These sympatric species lived in a coastal marsh
system with barrier islands and lagoon.