RE: Arboreal Theropods: The prize at the bottom of the cracker jack box

Of course, in the ontogeny of the Hoatzin, the animal goes from being an
arboreal quadruped to biped.

I think that the morphology of small paravians is consistent with minor tree
use, as we see in basal birds, but not arboreality. Especially in their small
size and possibly grasping feet.

But no one can dictate whether or how fast halluces reverse and descend.
Evolution does not, actually, act on "a need". Humans have a need for better
birth morphology to improve maternal chances of survival, but it never arose.
Instead it acts on the extremes of the pre-existing distribution of variation.
One, strongly grasping, toe bent 180 degrees backward is not an easy or fast
step in evolution, because it is outside the range of normal variation, and a
halfway version is not super helpful. A longer toe or toes with stronger flexor
tubercles would be the more likely first steps. Those who persist in saying
that they get to decide when reversed halluces must evolve are looking the
wrong way through the telescope - back from a  world where it has already
evolved, and biased by that historical contingency. All historical events seem
inevitable AFTER that fact, just look at the last American election and, after
election night, how many people suddenly knew it all along!

Longer arms, fingers and hands may be selected for to help stabilize the body
in trees far more readily from existing ranges of variation and, lo and behold,
basal paravians have a rich diversity of just those adaptations! Everything
from Epidendrosaurus' crazy finger to Yixianosaurus' long hands. And ALL basal
paravians that i know of have long arms relative to sister outgroups like, say,
Caudipteryx or Compsognathus or Coelophysis.

So y'all can keep arguing about what should have happened, in your opinion, or
start thinking harder about what we know DID happen.