Re: Way cool kagu

Ah, here's one I just overlooked.

Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Juli 2013 um 18:52 Uhr
Von: GSP1954@aol.com
Betreff: Way cool kagu

> Archaeopteryx [...] The pelvis is dinky
> and the legs are not all that long

Good points. It's indeed striking how small the ilium is in comparison to the
femur or the vertebral column -- most other theropods, extant and extinct, have
a considerably larger pelvis. Archie must not have done a lot of running.

> Microraptor also has very large pectoral crest

You mean the deltopectoral crest, right?

I ask just to be sure, because the plesiomorphic condition for tetrapods sensu
lato is indeed to have separate deltoid and pectoral crests. This is found in
the better-ossified temnospondyls for instance.

> The legs are very long,

In particular, the femora are crazily long. It looks almost unreal.