RE: Aw: RE: Arboreal Theropods: The prize at the bottom of the cracker jack box

Small theropods may not have been the only ones to take to the trees. Tiny
ornithopods and quite possibly crocs [juvies] as well. Trees may have been
full of non-theropod reptiles all trying out the new arboreal environments.

More to the point. What would actually drive these groups into the trees in
the first place ??

With small ornithopods .. it could well have been a food source [fruits].
With crocs .. perhaps protection. Other reptiles perhaps both. But theropods ??

I can't see chasing prey items up a tree. It would seem to me that natural
selection would have a far easier time pushing the boundaries of cursoriality
[which theropods were well adapted] by simply becoming faster than their prey
before the food reached the tree in the first place [either running it down or
ambushing it].

Is there even a modicum of consensus as to WHY small theropods hit the arboreal
life in the first place ?? What was the prime motivation here ??