Re: A tough question...or is it?

Zen answer: because it is one of the many works one can do.
At times the related question, why paying taxes for dinosaur studies,
instead of materially more important stuff like disease or technology,
emerges. I guess so long humankind enjoys or at least does not protest
because of that practice, dinosaur paleontologists can keep going on.
If not, dinosaur paleontology will have to be a hobby, as it is for
many.
If your question refers to employment, it may vary depending of the
country, but I guess many other careers have better chances of
employment or higher wage.
Cheers.