RE: A tough question...or is it?

Augusto ..

Palaeontology IS a hobby .. albeit .. a professional hobby
run by professionally skilled researchers, artists, illustrators,
technicians. Technically .. any field that does not stand on its
own [financially or management wise] and needs to be propped up by
gov't mamagement/funding .. IS a hobby.

And professional hobbyists have contributed greatly to science. Most
sciences find themselves in this catagory. It does not take away from
their importance to mankind. A science that is not a professional
hobby is a science that is in complete control of its own funding and
therefore complete control over its management. It is more than a matter
of semantics here.

The decision to remain a professional hobby is entirely up to its
practitioners. Whatever they're most comfortable with. Just saying ..