Re: A tough question...or is it?

That's not how I would define hobby, per se, but I do agree that the way in
which research is funded is an important distinction (has functional effects,
etc) and this might therefore be denoted terminologically.  That said, the
terminology would really need to be applied at the level of individual
projects, rather than an entire field of study: many paleo projects, for
example, are privately funded.  Others require no outside funding at all.

--Mike H.