Re: MAJESTY of the COLOSSAL THEROPODS

Raptorial Talon <raptorialtalon@gmail.com> wrote:

> I dunno, that seems pretty subjective and hard to verify (in terms of
> how modern kids are thinking of it). I offer a counterexample: I
> started out (albeit rather later, in the 80's) with plenty of old
> books that had fully upright theropods, but I rapidly absorbed new
> information about them being faster, less tail-draggingly-lizardlike
> animals, precisely because for them to be faster and more alert seemed
> far more impressive and dignified to me. (That, and I valued being
> up-to-date on professional ideas.) As I encountered new and better
> illustrations, the transition from plodding lizard-kangaroos to sleek,
> dynamic, vibrant animals was one I never wanted to go back on.
>
> Then as now, I'd take a swift, potent, 13 m *Tyrannosaurus* over a
> lumbering, lumpy, 17 m *Tyrannosaurus* any day.

I fully agree.  I think these "new" theropods are far more majestic -
now that their tails are not dragging along the ground, and the
forelimbs are not sticking out the front like some mindless
brain-seeking zombie.

The theropod tail is held off the ground, and the forelimbs are held
under the body (and are often folded).  IMHO these theropods are not
just more dynamic, but also (unsurprisingly!) more bird-like.

Cheers

Tim