RE: MAJESTY of the COLOSSAL THEROPODS

> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:18:55 +1100
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: FW: MAJESTY of the COLOSSAL THEROPODS
>
> dale mcinnes <wdm1949@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes. It's nothing to do with the modern and correct reconstruction
> > of these animals but rather the idea today that they all appear to
> > be "locked down" into one pose.
>

> I see what you're driving at here. Standing upwards at an angle of
> around 30 degrees doesn't sound unreasonable to me. But as long as
> this doesn't get mistaken as the default posture of all theropods -
> especially tyrannosaurs.
>

> I think a distinction has to be made between "striking a pose", and
> how a theropod habitually stood, walked, or ran. When running, the
> trunk was possibly held closer to the horizontal (i.e., at a shallower
> angle) than when walking, and (especially) when standing. That's if
> modern terrestrial birds are any guide (e.g., guineafowl, re Gatesy,
> 1999). There are exceptions - such as the plains-wanderer
> (_Pedionomus torquatus_), which habitually adopts an upright stance
> (mentioned by Ron Orenstein), and of course penguins, which are an
> extreme example.
>

> The other thing to take into account is that many large predatory
> theropods, including tyrannosaurids, attacked with the head first. So
> when in "attack mode" it makes no sense for the head to be held too
> high.

Well .. yes .. it does .. if you're going to use the skull as a hatchet
on large prey items. All I'm saying is that there's probably a few
intermediate poses that many are overlooking. A head held high would
probably aid a massively tall predator in hunting .. able to take in
scents wafting over the landscape in breezes that would be animated
a few meters above the ground.

"To the horizon" vision would also give large predatory dinosaurs an
added incentive to "walk tall".

I just don't know.

dale