Larry Martin

Larry Martin passed away over the weekend, Kansas University reports
http://news.ku.edu/2013/03/11/university-mourns-death-professor-larry-martin

Larry Martin was the first person I reached after I saw a very garbled account
of a feathered dinosaur on a Chinese web site back in early October of 1996. He
speculated about it, but said he hadn't seen it and pointed me to Phil Currie,
whom Larry thought had seen the fossil. I called Phil, who told me about the
find and called it "a little feathered dinosaur" -- it was Sinosauropteryx. I
broke the news in New Scientist, which came out a day before Phil described it
as a press conference at SVP at the American Museum in New York. He had a blind
spot when it came to the evolution of birds from dinosaurs, or perhaps he just
enjoyed being a contrarian. In any case, I'm sad to hear he's gone.

Jeff Hecht, Correspondent, New Scientist
http://www.newscientist.com
jeff@jeffhecht.com or hechtnews@gmail.com
525 Auburn St., Auburndale, MA 02466 USA
voice 617-965-3834