Re: Wings and cars

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 9:16 AM EDT Clair Ossian wrote:
across the state, mostly on back roads. At one point the state raised the
maximum speed limit from 55 to 65 mph, the change to be made effective on a
particular Monday.

I was driving across the northern edge of Nebraska on that day, and of
course drove the new speed limit. Over and over and over I begin to hit
birds which were sweeping across the road in front of my car.
I struck an unconscionably large number of birds during the first part of
that week, but during the following weeks, I seldom hit a bird. The
frequency was as it was before the speed limit increase.

The Darwinian observation was very clear. I had changed the parameters of
the game, and those birds that could not learn to time themselves relative
to the now much faster cars, were selected from the population.

Curious, could it also have been that the population by the road was only
just thinned out? Any way to tell the local numbers before and after?