RE: Origin of Birds Research Project

No fully up-to-date (2013) review, but the Theropoda and Aves chapters of The
Complete Dinosaur 2nd edition give some really recent
material, up through extant birds.

Chiappe's Glorified Dinosaurs is good for many features, but misses out on the
diversity of living birds and the later discoveries
of the many small archaeopterygid-grade maniraptorans.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

start
> looking for information on the subject. Are there any general taxonomic
> papers or books on early bird diversity and evolution that
> should look at? The only thing I currently have on my shelf is an Alan
> Fedducia book I bought for a few bucks at a garage sale,
and I'm
> fairly sure that can be safely ignored.
>
> I'd like to focus both on Cretaceous maniraptorans and the evolution of
> modern bird families. Any help would be deeply
appreciated.