RE: New Deinocheirus specimens found, indicating basal ornithomimosaur

The manual claws of Deinocherius are most definitely NOT raptorial! However, I
understand when just viewing them from a distance
they might appear so. Handling the actual specimens (or casts), you find they
are much thicker, much less pointed, and so forth than
people commonly think: more like the claws of basal therizinosauroids.

Torvosaurus, Suchomimus, megaraptorans, etc., are much better models for what a
giant raptorial claw actually looks like: far more
tapered, far more pointed, more elongate compared to the articular facet, etc.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

easy a
> statement to come by. To hold prey to you using arms effectively, you'd have
> to use pretty robust limbs and unfortunately the
muscle
> sites for shoulder muscles do not lend themselves for resisting the forces
> that would be brought to bear. I can make an offhand
> comment that I doubt *Deinocheirus* could resist the struggles of an animal
> half its mass, but that's an offhand comment and I
can't
> back it up.
>
> As others have pointed out, however, prey-restraint is predominantly foot or
> jaw based, not forelimb-based. If you can stand on
your
> prey, you are using your entire body's weight against the prey animal, and as
> such the arms are even less important.
>
> That all said, the shoulder indicates low mobility, and the wrist low
> flexibility, which would make better single-direction force
> resistance better, and in a plane parallel to the long axis of the body. As
> such, it looks to have good gripping, but not for
objects of very
> large size. And again that comment above about offhand remarks, I don't think
> it could even pick up something a quarter its
weight.

> But for an animal with "raptorial" claws, there are many possible functions.
> Being trenchant and broad, the claws resist vertical
> compression at the tip and to some degree sheer forces and oblique sheer as
> the claws are roughly oval and not flattened towards
> the venter. Thus, they'd be fairly good for tearing and piercing. And that's
> about it.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Jaime A. Headden
>   The Bite Stuff (site v2)
>   http://qilong.wordpress.com/

> "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different
> language and a new way of looking at things, the human
race has
> had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new
> way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast
With a