RE: New Deinocheirus specimens found, indicating basal ornithomimosaur

Something we need to consider is if the attachment scars and crests are
disproportionately big, or simply the product of allometry
on a standard-model ornithomimosaur humerus. Comparison of the humeri of
Therizinosaurus and Deinocheirus show that the former is
the real powerhouse of the two.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

suited
> for such foraging activity (too long and compressed, better for shearing off
> foliage), and as regards non-dinosaurian competitors
in
> such a niche there were few if any at that time.
>

> Regards,
>
> Eike

>  Datum: Mittwoch, 6. November, 2013 15:38 Uhr
>
>  The manual claws of Deinocherius are
>  most definitely NOT raptorial! However, I understand when  just viewing them
> from a distance  they might appear so. Handling the
> actual specimens (or  casts), you find they are much thicker, much less
> pointed,  and so forth than  people commonly think: more
like