Re: New Deinocheirus specimens found, indicating basal ornithomimosaur

On 11/6/2013 9:07 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 04:04:29PM +0000, evelyn sobielski wrote:
Would the claws (and arm muscles) be suitable to uprooting and
breaking open cycad trunks or similar plants? IIRC the tricipital
attachment scar should be large and quite rugose in such a case.
The claws at least of advanced therizinosaurs don't seem well
suited for such foraging activity (too long and compressed, better
for shearing off foliage), and as regards non-dinosaurian
competitors in such a niche there were few if any at that time.

Ants?

Really big ones. Bite your head off.

Those claws reminded me of an existing animal, and then finally
realized what - something like a Giant Anteater. Rip apart bark,
or mounds of dirt. I'm curious what sort of wear the claws show.