Petrified Forest drilling project and other news

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Bill Parker to drill into of rock depths of Petrified Forest (sounds
as if the project that was delayed by the government shutdown will
happen after all)

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/petrified-forest-a-fossil-every-inches/article_ee70579c-4906-11e3-9324-001a4bcf887a.html

This story relates to an earlier news article in Nature:

http://www.nature.com/news/geologists-take-drill-to-triassic-park-1.13866

===

Mark Norell gives behind-the-scenes video tour of AMNH dinosaur bone collection

http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-bone-room-where-dinosaurs-live-at-amnh-1179620156

==

Hadrosaur skin fossils from Utah

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/11/paleontology

==

Leonardo (Brachylophosaurus) mummy on display in Indianapolis

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/preserved-dinosaur-home-indianapolis-58158/

http://www.wibc.com/news/story.aspx?ID=2074122

==

Concavenator vs. Becklespinax (in Spanish and English):

http://godzillin.blogspot.com/2013/11/concavenator-vs-becklespinax-en-el-73rd.html

===

Triassic synapsids from Brazil

[These news stories in Portuguese may have a few details mixed up.]

A cynodont fossil (Candelariodon barberenai) was formally presented in
public (with photos of fossil and model):

http://www.gaz.com.br/_conteudo/2013/11/noticias/regional/5697-descobertas-projetam-o-nome-de-candelaria.html

(However, I think the first photo of a specimen partly exposed may
actually be a dicynodont. The cynodont is based on a lower jaw.)

***
With video (in Portuguese)

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2013/11/fossil-de-mamifero-pre-historico-sera-apresentado-nesta-sexta-feira-no-rs.html

Original description of Candelariodon from 2011:

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2011/f/z03027p028f.pdf

***
New dicynodont specimen (Dinodontosaurus I assume from the photo of
the presentation) also presented in Brazil (in Portuguese)

The article calls it a "dinossauro" (instead of a therapsid) and also
mentions the cynodont find in the region (see above).

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2013/11/fossil-de-mamifero-pre-historico-e-apresentado-em-candelaria-rs.html

I think this dicynodont specimen was in the news a few months back.

http://dml.cmnh.org/2013Aug/msg00049.html

===