Katepensaurus, new rebbachisaurid sauropod from Late Cretaceous of Argentina

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

In the new JVP:

Lucio M. Ibiricu, Gabriel A. Casal, Rubén D. Martínez, Matthew C.
Lamanna, Marcelo Luna & Leonardo Salgado (2013)
Katepensaurus goicoecheai, gen. et sp. nov., a Late Cretaceous
rebbachisaurid (Sauropoda, Diplodocoidea) from central Patagonia,
Argentina
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 33 (6): 1351-1366
DOI: 10.1080/02724634.2013.776562
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2013.776562#.UoJI5fk_sbk

We describe Katepensaurus goicoecheai, gen. et sp. nov., a diplodocoid
sauropod dinosaur from the Bajo Barreal Formation (Upper Cretaceous:
Cenomanian–Turonian) of south-central Chubut Province, central
Patagonia, Argentina. The holotypic specimen is a closely associated
partial axial skeleton that includes cervical, dorsal, and caudal
vertebrae. The dorsal vertebrae of Katepensaurus exhibit the following
distinctive characters that we interpret as autapomorphies: (1)
internal lamina divides lateral pneumatic fossa of centrum; (2)
vertical ridges or crests present on lateral surface of vertebra,
overlying neurocentral junction; (3) pair of laminae in parapophyseal
centrodiapophyseal fossa; (4) transverse processes perforated by
elliptical fenestrae; and (5) well-defined, rounded fossae on lateral
aspect of postzygapophyses. Based on the results of previous
phylogenetic analyses, we regard the new taxon as a member of
Rebbachisauridae; more specifically, it may pertain to Limaysaurinae,
a rebbachisaurid subclade that, to date, is definitively known only
from southern South America. As currently understood, the
rebbachisaurid fossil record suggests that the clade achieved its
greatest taxonomic diversity within a few million years of its
extinction during the early Late Cretaceous.