Re: An Immodest Proposal for using paleoart to help suppress fossil poaching

Dear List,

Thanks to Greg Paul for pointing this out, and I'd like to add my full
support to this idea.

Although not in the same league as Paul, or Mr Krentz, or many other
artists who would benefit from such a proposition, I give my full
support to this idea as first and foremost a fledgling palaeoartist. I
have not had any work commissioned, and have only sold a few small
pieces at auctions such at SVP and SVPCA. This is not from a lack of
trying, my portfolio already numbers in the hundreds of pieces. There
just isn't a huge demand for palaeo-art, bespoke or otherwise.

Such a proposition would both decrease interest in the morally
objectionable practice of selling original fossils to the highest
bidder without consideration of the fossils' use to the science of
palaeontology, and increase the potential livelihoods of talented
palaeo-artists (which may or may not include myself, I am not
immodest) who are struggling to support themselves.

I too would be wary of labelling this idea with "dinosaur" whatever,
as there are not only other profitable vertebrate fossils, not to
mention popular amongst palaeo-artists, including Russian mammoths and
giant shark teeth, but this also excludes invertebrate fossils,
trilobites being an example of an often bootlegged and frequently
purchased invertebrate taxon. It might be worth getting the support of
invertebrate palaeontologists as well as those who dabble in
invertebrate palaeo-art (like myself).

Perhaps, like many other things, ignorance is one of the main factors.
We talk of those with "more money than sense" but maybe it isn't sense
that is lacking, but awareness, that such priceless fossils have to be
sourced from somewhere, and this deprives many people of their
livelihoods and valuable palaeontological data, not to mention the
stuff of museums that drags people across the world to view.

I'd be glad to contribute more to this discussion, either on or off list.

Mo Hassan
Hertfordshire, UK
The Disillusioned Taxonomist
http://subhumanfreak.blogspot.com