Re: Source needed - Rock Formations and their interpretations

In “Re: Source needed - Rock Formations and their
interpretations” at http://dml.cmnh.org/2013Nov/msg00065.html
and http://dml.cmnh.org/2013Nov/msg00062.html

Angelo Giakoumatos wrote:

“I am looking for a book/source that discusses the
major fossiliferous Mesozoic-aged rock formations
and includes detailed interpretations on their creation
and paleo-climate.  I may be asking for too much.”

A good place to start collecting this information is
Chapter 3, A Bonebeds Database: Classification,
Biases, and Patterns of Occurrence” by David
A. Eberth, Matthew Shannon, and Brent G. Noland
of the book, “Bonebeds: Genesis, Analysis, and
Paleobiological Significance” (The University of
Chicago Press) by Raymond R. Rogers, David A.
Eberth, and Anthony R. Fiorillo. It lists a number
of Mesozoic bone beds with notes on their stratigraphy,
depositional setting, depositional environment and
so forth. It does not have the detail that you
apparently want, but it certainly provides a place
to start collecting this information in terms of
vertebrate fossils.

In addition, most of this book is essential reading
for any project involving the taphonomy of Mesozoic
vertebrate fossils.

Yours,

Paul

Paul V. Heinrich