RE: Global Palaeo Floral Reconstructions

Might be easiest to work backwards in time. It's not clear from this part of
the conversation if the project isn't restricted to the Paleozoic, but if not,
one can extrapolate A LOT from extant flora back into the mid-Mesozoic. Neogene
flora is barely different from today in global composition (eg Droseraceae were
significantly more diverse in the past), the Paleogene had already most of the
extant taxonomic diversity but community structure was different, while the
Cretaceous is characterized by the eudicot radiation (implying a very different
flora that however already contained the main lineages known today, eg you had
basal Fabales but no legumes yet).

This way, reconstructions will get progressively harder and more speculative,
but you'll always have something to work from (you'll have reconstructed the
descendents already, as there were), and if the *whole* project turns out to be
unmanageable/the workload too high, you will at least end up with something
substantial and highly useful.

Regards,

Eike