Re: Jeholornis: Two-Tailed Wonder

Just when I thought Mesozoic birds couldn't get any weirder... a bird
with "two tails".  So not really two tails, but a proximal "fan" and a
distal "frond".  But still weird.

I think it's worth entertaining the possibility that _Jeholornis_
didn't actually fly.  Maybe the aerodynamic feathers (remiges and
"fan") were used for purely ground-based behaviors.  Or for returning
to earth after climbing a tree (such as a bennettite or gingko) to
forage, similar to what Dyke &c recently proposed for _Microraptor_.
Either way, the aerodynamic feathers would be employed principally for
control and maneuverability rather than for any behavior that
qualifies as powered or sustained flight.

Cheers

Tim