Re: Fighting iguanas photo

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A couple of articles that may be relevant:

D.I. Hamasaki (1968)
Properties of the parietal eye of the green iguana.
Vision Research 8(5): 591–599
doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0042-6989(68)90100-4
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0042698968901004

The ERG evoked by achromate stimuli was used to study the properties
of the parietal eye of the Green Iguana. The response consisted of a
positive component (positive on-response and a negative off-response),
and a negative component (negative on-response and no response at off)
which were independent and had different properties. The negative
component was more sensitive and had a long refractory period whereas
the positive component had a higher threshold but had a very short
refractory period. The parietal eye of the iguana studied had
properties which were more like those of the lateral eyes of nocturnal
reptiles (gecko and caiman) than those of its own lateral eye.

=====

Seiji Wada, Emi Kawano-Yamashita, Mitsumasa Koyanagi & Akihisa Terakita (2012)
Expression of UV-Sensitive Parapinopsin in the Iguana Parietal Eyes
and Its Implication in UV-Sensitivity in Vertebrate Pineal-Related
Organs.
PLoS ONE 7(6): e39003.
doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0039003
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0039003

The pineal-related organs of lower vertebrates have the ability to
discriminate different wavelengths of light. This wavelength
discrimination is achieved through antagonistic light responses to UV
or blue and visible light. Previously, we demonstrated that
parapinopsin underlies the UV reception in the lamprey pineal organ
and identified parapinopsin genes in teleosts and frogs of which the
pineal-related organs were reported to discriminate light. In this
study, we report the first identification of parapinopsin in the
reptile lineage and show its expression in the parietal eye of the
green iguana. Spectroscopic analysis revealed that iguana parapinopsin
is a UV-sensitive pigment, similar to lamprey parapinopsin.
Interestingly, immunohistochemical analyses using antibodies specific
to parapinopsin and parietopsin, a parietal eye green-sensitive
pigment, revealed that parapinopsin and parietopsin are colocalized in
the outer segments of the parietal eye photoreceptor cells in iguanas.
These results strongly suggest that parapinopsin underlies the
wavelength discrimination involving UV reception in the iguana
parietal eye. The current findings support the idea that parapinopsin
is a common photopigment underlying the UV-sensitivity in wavelength
discrimination of the pineal-related organs found from lampreys to
reptiles.