Austrotriconodon (Cretaceous mammal from Argentina) not a triconodont

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new non-dino paper that may be of interest:

L.C. Gaetano, C.A. Marsicano &  G.W. Rougier (2013)
A revision of the putative Late Cretaceous triconodonts from South America.
Cretaceous Research 46: 90–100
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2013.09.007
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S01956671130013

Austrotriconodon mckennai and Austrotriconodon sepulvedai, from the
Campanian Los Alamitos Formation, Patagonia, Argentina were originally
described as triconodont mammals and the sole members of the family
Austrotriconodontidae. These mammals were represented by isolated
cheek teeth originally regarded as molariforms, but their peculiar
morphology later raised doubts about their purported triconodont
affinities. Nevertheless, the morphological bases supporting the
alternative taxonomic views have not been fully documented. We present
here detailed comparisons of Austrotriconodon with other Late
Cretaceous taxa and conclude that Austrotriconodon specimens should be
assigned to Meridiolestida and Mesungulatoidea. These isolated teeth
are likely premolars and might represent unknown dental positions of
already described species or correspond to taxa that are yet to be
formally recognized. According to our interpretation, there is still
no record of Cretaceous triconodonts in South America, but we support
the triconodont affinities for Jurassic taxa from the Cañadón Asfalto
Formation in central Patagonia.