Re: Blogging SVP

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> *Chriacus* and bats are sister-groups,
>
> Yikes.  This may have major repercussions for the origin of flight in
> Chiroptera.  The scansorial abilities of _Chriacus_ are well attested
> - it's been compared to a modern coati (_Nasua_) in its arboreal
> habits (Rose, KD, 1987; Science 236: 314-316).  _Chriacus_ has
> traditionally been considered an arctocyonid... so it makes sense that
> the "arctocyonids" are scattered to the four winds in this analysis.

Dave Peters called it! (Well, as near as I can make it out, he puts
some other things closer to bats, like colugos and pen-tailed
treeshrews[!] and African palm civets[!!!], but....)

> But I'm surprised that _Brontosaurus_ was brought back to life
> (appropriate for Halloween?).

It involved an arbitrary character-based distance metric that also
revived Elosaurus. (No less arbitrary than the usual decision,
though.)

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/