Re: disease-carrying varmints biting dinos

Two separate issue:

1) Did disease-bearing organisms spread diseases among dinosaurs? Almost
certainly yes. Indeed, to infer otherwise is to infer a difference between
Cretaceous and modern ecosystems that is unwarranted by current evidence?

2) Did said disease cause the K/Pg extinctions? Almost certainly not!!
Consider the wide spectrum of organisms that were affected (from [most]
coccolithophorids and inoceramids and ammonoids to pterosaurs and
non-avian dinosaurs and so forth), any hypothesis that would just affect
one but not all is an unlikely candidate.

On Mon, September 2, 2013 10:13 am, Brian Hathaway wrote:

> I know the theory that this article is not accepted generally -
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080103090702.htm - but since
> mosquitoes were so prevalent during this time could they have carried
> disease to warm-blooded non-avian dinosaurs?

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/