Holotype of Sunosuchus cf. thailandicus ?!

Is there anyone able to tell me what it means ?

Holliday et al. (In press) just referred PIN 4174-1 to "Sunosuchus" cf. thailandicus Buffetaut, 1980... and treat it as a new species (p. 2). This specimen is explicitely designated as a holotype and there are information about the the type locality and horizon, as well as a diagnosis.

And later, in the same paper:
"There is no diagnostic feature that separates it from
the extremely fragmentary S. thailandicus, suggesting that
PIN 4174‒1 could be considered a synonym of S. thailandicus." (p. 7)

Excuse my French*, but... what the heck !?

Among the four authors of the papers, there are three fully fledged taxonomists who could not have missed - at least, I hope - such an aberration. I do not know the first author so I will refrain from hasty judgements, but he MUST choose between erecting a new genus and species and keeping the former referral to "Sunosuchus" cf. thailandicus. Both options are defendible, given the data and results that are presented in the paper, so the final decision needs to be made by the taxonomist. By the authors.

There is NO alternative.

Taxonomy is a science, not some kind of funny hobby for old people visiting museums. And biological nomenclature is not for angry grammar nazis that likes to annoy scientists. There are some things that can be done and there are some others that must not.

Sorry for being a bit abrupt, but I feel like screaming when I see people treating taxonomy and nomenclature like this. Especially because other people - including me - have to clean the waste they leave afterwards...

Jocelyn

*: yes, I'm French. Hence the colourful language.