From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] on behalf of Box, Rick
[rbox@crateandbarrel.com]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 11:32 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Question from a Dilettante about Avian dinosaurs surviving K-Pg
boundary

Not a professional.

Are there theories that have gained currency about why birds survived the
event(s) that killed off all the other dinosaurs, and the pterosaurs, and
other things the ignorant masses call 'dinosaurs'?

It seems to me that while Cretaceous dinosaurs were probably warm-blooded,
they probably maintained body temperature just by being big. They didn't do
it through feathered insulation or needing to work the heart and muscles
simply for the sake of heat. That method of maintaining body temp works
well for whatever particular climate, but when the climate changes
drastically, they'd be just as vulnerable as cold-blooded reptiles.

On the other hand, small *heavily *feathered versions of dinosaurs could
insulate, or dissipate heat by changing the feathers around, and probably
had a quicker heart rate anyhow.

Is there anything to that?