From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] on behalf of Erik Boehm
[erikboehm07@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 5:46 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Microraptor was a competent glider (but nothing to write home
about)

*converted to plain text*
I just had an interesting thought....

I'm sure you are all aware of the basilisk lizard? A relatively small lizard
with long toes, that can run across the surface of water...
Surely its not the first vertebrate to have evolved the capability to run
across the surface of water.
I've seen videos of flying fish that have the lower half of their tailfin in
the water, thrusting even as their body is out of the water supported by their
"wings"
Many waterbirds today engage in running across water as part of their take-off
sequence, and as I understand it, a significant portion of the acceleration
force comes from their feet. So using the wings for "flight" (powered or
unpowered) higher above the water is not mutually exclusive for using the wings
for traversing the surface of the water while aided by ground effect.

Feathers on Microraptors feet would increase its surface area, much like the
long toes of a basilisk lizard, throw in some wings to take some of the load,
and maybe microraptor could run across the surface of the water... although if
this was their purpose, webbed feet seem like a more likely adaptation - unless
maybe the feathered legs were dual purpose (gliding/water running)

Without actually looking at the physical dimensions of microraptor, or doing
any calculations, I'm not sure if this is plausible...