Re: A question for zoonomenclaturists

Yes, it is! Re-read the article dedicated to "femur": http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/femur

"Femur" stands for "thigh", "the upper part of the thigh", or "the loins", and, figuratively, the capacity to bear children (just like the expression "birthing hips"). This is supported by the close affinities of Latin words related to "femur" and "femina". This link is confirmed by the Ancient Greek root of the latter word, "φύω", which means "to produce", hence "to give birth".

I suspect in fact that this is where originated the myth of the birth of Dionysos... a mere play on words!

See the Lewis and Short for more details:

- http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=femina&la=la#lexicon
- http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=femur&la=la&can=femur0#lexicon
- http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=+%CF%86%CF%8D%CF%89&la=greek#Perseus:text:1999.04.0057:entry=fu/w-contents

Cheers,