Wenupteryx, new pterosaur from Late Jurassic of Argentina

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Laura Codorniú and Zulma Gasparini (2013)
The Late Jurassic pterosaurs from northern Patagonia, Argentina.
Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of
Edinburgh  (advance online publication)
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1755691013000388
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9015868&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S1755691013000388

Records of flying Jurassic reptiles are very scarce in the Southern
Hemisphere. Upper Jurassic pterosaurs have been discovered in marine
Tithonian sediments of the Vaca Muerta Formation, in the Neuquén
Basin, Patagonia, Argentina. Only four specimens are known so far: the
first from Arroyo Picún Leufú, and the other three from the
lithographic limestones of Los Catutos. Here, we update knowledge of
Late Jurassic pterosaurs from northwest Patagonia. We revise the
diagnosis and description of a previously described pterodactyloid,
which is named as a new genus and species, Wenupteryx uzi. This
small-sized pterosaur shows affinities with Euctenochasmatia or
Archaeopterodactyloidea, and represents the most complete Jurassic
pterosaur so far known from the Southern Hemisphere. We also report a
recent finding suggesting that the new specimen belongs to a new
species of pterodactyloid pterosaur. These records show that at least
three different taxa of pterosaurs coexisted in the Neuquén Basin:
Herbstosaurus, Wenupteryx and a more derived pterodactyloid that
represents the largest pterosaur known from the Upper Jurassic of
Gondwana.