RE: Xinjiangtitan, giant sauropod from China, and Russian dinosaur mounts go digital (news stories)

Perhaps Xinjiangtitan is the one making all the "dino death trap" footprints!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

version
> of the journal.
>
> Google Translate garbles some of the content from this link, however.
> The estimated length for Xinjiangtitan is about 30 meters (100 ft), exceeding
> Mamenchisaurus at 22 meters (73 ft.), and making it
the
> largest sauropod known from the Middle Jurassic of Asia.
>

> http://www.dradio.de/dlf/sendungen/forschak/2267836/
>
> ==
>
> In Russian:
>
> Dinosaurs mounted in Moscow museum to get online digital images.
>
> (The mounts looks a bit dated to me (dragging tails) and would include
> reconstructed parts as well as real fossil material.)
>
> http://www.polit.ru/news/2013/09/18/ps_ps_digital_pin2/
>

> Here's a rough translation from Google Translate with my own fixes for
> garbled or mistranslated passages.
>

> Moscow, Russia
> Ancient animals kept in the Museum of Paleontology, Russian Academy of
> Sciences [in Moscow], have received a new digital life.
> Dinosaur skeletons have been undergoing  a 3D-scanning procedure and will
> soon be available for virtual visits.
>
> With the help of technology capture reality,  photogrammetry and laser scan,
> 3D-model dinosaurs Saurolophus  (Saurolophus
> angustirostris), Diplodocus (Diplodocus carnegii) and Tarbosaurus (Tarbosaus
> bataar) were obtained .
>
> The use of the laser scanning system unique museum exhibits gave details of
> the order of 1-2 mm. This accuracy and availability
online
> will allow researchers to conduct any transactions with three-dimensional
> models of dinosaurs, from the approximation of interest
> compare parts of animal carcasses in a single scale, the reconstruction and
> modeling of processes that took place millions of
years ago.