Questions about T. rex and Nanotyrannus

LISTERS --

The other night I saw, for the first time, an episode of "Jurassic Fight
Club" (first aired in 2008, I think) where young Tyrannosaurus rexes duked
it out with an adult Nanotyrannus lancensis somewhere in South Dakota.
Setting aside the thousand obvious things that could be said about this
series, I have a couple specific questions.

I missed the first half of the show, so I missed where they apparently
talked about the fossil evidence for this encounter. They seemed to be
saying that remains of two species were collected at the same site.

My question is, what were the physical differences supporting the
conclusion that one of the animals was a young T. rex (and the other N.
lancensis)? Can someone point me to a paper or other source where this
possibility was discussed?

-- Donna Braginetz