Theropod eggs with embryos remains from Late Cretaceous of China (free pdf)

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper (pdf is free):

SHAO Zhan-fu, FAN Shao-hui, JIA Song-hai, TANAKA Kohei & Lü Jun-chang (2014)
Intact theropod dinosaur eggs with embryonic remains from the Late
Cretaceous of southern China.
Geological Bulletin of China 33(07):941-948.
http://dzhtb.cgs.cn/ch/reader/view_abstract.aspx?file_no=20140701&flag=1

In spite of tremendous discoveries of dinosaur eggs and nests over the
world, dinosaur embryonic remains are rare. Until today, dinosaur
embryos associated with eggshells are only known in about 20 cases,
most of which were recovered from broken or crushed eggs. Here we
report intact dinosaur eggs in a partial clutch with preserved
embryonic remains in eggs from the Upper Cretaceous Nanxiong Formation
of Ganzhou in the southern Jiangxi Province of China. Based on macro-
and microscopic features of eggs and eggshells, these eggs were
identified as Elongatoolithus sp., and possibly belong to
oviraptorosaurs. A CT scanning topography revealed that all the eggs
contain accumulations of embryonic bones, including possible femur and
tibia. Our discovery suggests that dinosaur embryos might be preserved
more than we have recognized, because intact eggs potentially confine
embryonic remains.
==