Re: UK Triassic "pterosaur" is drepanosauromorph

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Sorry for a typo. I copied the ref from the website and missed the
extra embedded superscript "a" for the author affiliation tacked on to
Dalla Vecchia. It's happened before to author names in copying from
webpages with embedded superscript letters...

For the record....

Fabio Marco Dalla Vecchia & Andrea Cau  (2014)
Re-examination of the purported pterosaur wing metacarpals from the
Upper Triassic of England.
Historical Biology (advance online publication)
DOI:10.1080/08912963.2014.933826
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08912963.2014.933826#.U-oy0_ldXTo

Two small bones from the Upper Triassic of Cromhall Quarry
(Gloucestershire, England), which are referred in the literature to
pterosaurian wing metacarpals, are compared with wing metacarpals of
unequivocal pterosaur specimens from the Upper Triassic of Italy and
Greenland as well as those of the Liassic Dimorphodon macronyx from
England. The two are morphologically distinct from the unequivocal
wing metacarpals. Comparison with the phalanges of drepanosauromorphs
suggests that they are probably penultimate phalanges of those bizarre
diapsids. Drepanosauromorphs are now known from Cromhall Quarry, but
they were not in 1990 when the two presumed wing metacarpals were
described. There is no definitive evidence of the presence of
pterosaurs in the Triassic of the UK.